welcome to thediaryofatallgirl!

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Thursday Thoughts [And What Nots]: The Atkins Diet

Hello, my munchkins!

Today I wanted to review something a little different. Not that there's anything to be compared to, but hey! Welcome to Thursdays here on my blog!

source


Recently, my mom and I have been doing the Atkins diet. Now. Before ya'll get your panties in a bunch over the "d word", hear me out. Or... read me out? The Atkins diet is one that focuses on reducing your intake of net carbs. So, not necessarily the number on the back of your package of potato chips, but the carbs that directly impact blood sugar. The diet has phases that go from 1 to 4 and each has an acceptable list of foods to eat.




Disclaimer: I am not overweight. I do not necessarily need to lose weight. But I do need to give up my nasty food habits. Aka, me getting home from school and devouring a plate of loaded nachos. And oreos. And then dinner. And then ice cream. It was bad. This diet is helping both my mom and me to get back on track. 

So, some things I like about this "diet":

It's not restricting. Neither of us feel like we are getting insufficient amounts of food. There is a list of acceptable foods, and by the looks of it, no one would think of it as a meal plan, just a way to redirect your eating habits. It's not just all cardboard and water, you know. 


Here are some of my meals from this past week or so!


There's an app. They say there's an app for everything. Well, it's true. On the Atkins tracker app, you can access the list of acceptable foods, information about all of the phases, recipes, accurate nutrition info and a net carb/calorie/weight tracker device. The face of the app is super simple and easy for anyone to use (aka, all of the technically challenged adults out there. Cough, cough, my mother).

You feel full after every meal. We have been trying a lot of the meals from the app, especially breakfast dishes, and both my mom and I have noticed how crazy full we are after one serving. We've both always been the type that gets up for seconds, letting our eyes trick our stomachs, of course. But with some of the meals we've had, neither of us feel the need! I know that I have to get up super early so I can eat breakfast and have time to digest or else I get a stomach ache! It's crazy.

source
Kim K is doing it. The woman was just pregnant. She looks great now. Do you really need any more reason to try this?

I love how I feel now; energized, lighter (hypothetically. I really haven't lost much weight because I don't need to.), ready to take on the world. It's really amazing how switching up your eating can change your entire outlook on life. I know, call me crazy, but it's true!

We've been doing this for almost 2 weeks now and I don't think I can go back. Sure, I ate a bowl of pasta last night. But I've learned to not feel guilty about any slip ups. We're all human. It takes 28 days to form a habit, so I'll check back with you guys in 2 more weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! =)

Search This Blog