welcome to thediaryofatallgirl!

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

How To Write A Killer Resume Without Work Experience!


If you're reading this post, you're probably a desperate teen, scouring the internet for advice to get a first job. I know, it's hard. I was there a mere 2 months ago. I applied to a dozen [hell, maybe even a baker's dozen] jobs before I wrote my resume. Once I had it all finalized, I sent in another application [resume attached] and boom. I am now a working woman for the first time.






So, here's how I wrote my resume having never worked before.








     
 Even if you were only at the local animal shelter once, you were probably there for a decent amount of time and made some connection. Make sure to add all of your work to your list.





 Sports and clubs are good to focus on. I wrote down marching band; how I've been involved for 3 years, how I have a student leadership role, etc.





 Even though some companies won't call anyone, if your other info is a little transparent, they will, so don't fudge your references! Choose and adult, a coach, girl scout mom, teacher, any adult that you've known for a long time; more than 2 years is a good base line. Just make sure you ask before you jot down a random name!

Important things to remember;
-Don't over exaggerate. Potential employers will know that you're adding things just to make the page longer.
-Keep it less than a page. I would include a max of 5 volunteer spots, 5 activities and at least 2 references.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask me! I'm no professional, but from one teenage-girl-who-just-really-wants-that-one-more-pair-of-shoes, to another, I hope this was helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! =)

Search This Blog