welcome to thediaryofatallgirl!

Monday, October 21, 2013

12 Hours Without Internet

Has anyone, who is constantly online or on a phone, tried to not use the Internet for an extended period of time? Sure, we're supposed to have our phones turned off during school, but the silent switch will suffice, right?

Well it's a hard feat: to grow up with something, live by this item, have it as a main source of entertainment and income, and then have that very thing stripped away. For not even a full day, mind you!

In my mere time spent without my iPhone or laptop, I can't even begin to describe the amount of times I went to reach for the two; to check twitter for updates on the SNF game, to verify something a friend had stated as fact, to just have something to do in general. I felt like I was missing something. But did I really miss anything? I have come to the conclusion that I didn't.

source
In the time I was without the World Wide Web, there was not a major natural disaster, none of my friends tweeted anything that would influence my life, my blog and YouTube channel did not budge. So why do we feel the need to constantly "just check on things" when we're supposed to be involved in a "real life" experience?

We really shouldn't, but we were brought up this way. My mom is the most non-techie person that I know, yet she raised me and I now do everything on my laptop. I don't know what to do with myself without it.

Could you imagine if, suddenly, we had no Internet? You wouldn't be reading this right now. What would you be doing? Can you imagine how many people would lose their jobs? How many people can say they create something tangible? These days, not many. But if it were to disappear, the world would be in despair. We would not lose and physical being, but lives would be upturned, just because www. was deleted from our lives. Where do we begin to search for the CTRL + Z?

What would you do with yourself if you couldn't be lounging about, reading blogs and writing posts all day? Do you think you could go a week without the Internet? Let me know, I'm curious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! =)

Search This Blog