welcome to thediaryofatallgirl!

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Review: Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup

Well, that's a mouthful... Sheesh! Today's review is of my holy grail foundation as of late. As a hard core drugstore makeup junkie, this purchase was huge for me. But I'm glad I took the leap!

What made me buy this foundation?  If you're new to my scene, you may not know how much I adore my mother and look up to her. I take everything she says and use it to my advantage. So, when we're walking through the mall and all she wants to do is hit the makeup counter at Macy's, you better believe I took her up on that offer.

But... Carolyn! There's no way you would be willing to spend more than $7 on a makeup product! Tell me about it.  Another thing about my mom and I... we are the ultimate penny pinchers. Very rarely do either of us purchase anything if it's not at least 40% off. The fact that Mom continuously spends the money on high end makeup, instilled a strange feeling inside me.... the urge to splurge (how clever am I!).  I know. Crazy. Sooooo, I figured hitting the Estee Lauder counter with my partner in crime was worth a shot.



I am the shade 1N1 Ivory Nude
 
Buying this foundation was my first experience at a makeup counter. I got shade matched which is probably one of the best things I have ever done concerning my makeup. I plan to do a post on the benefits of getting shade tested!
As explained on macys.com, this foundation claims to be "15-hour staying power. Flawless all day. This worry-free, long-wearing makeup stays fresh and looks natural through heat, humidity, nonstop activity. Won't change color, smudge or come off on clothes. Feels lightweight and comfortable. Now the flawless look you see in the morning is the look you keep all day. Oil-free. Fragrance-free."


What I like about this foundation:

*It has a buildable coverage: I use a sponge to apply this and do one light layer all over my face and neck, let it dry and then go back and do another layer around my mouth and chin (to cover acne).
*It's great on my oily skin. I use the Rimmel Stay Matte Translucent Powder over this foundation and I don't look like a grease ball. Holla!
*It actually matches my face. A god send. Never have I ever had a foundation that wasn't too orange or too light. I do not miss my foundation line.
*It looks good no matter how you apply it. I've used my Sigma F60, a damp cosmetic sponge and my fingers to apply this foundation and even though each way leaves a different finish, it looks good no matter what.
*It stays put. Compared to drugstore level foundations, the Estee Lauder one stays on all day. Even though it claims to be 15 hours, I wouldn't know, due to the fact that I don't typically have my makeup on for more than 12. I've even noticed that if I need to take a mid afternoon shower while keeping my makeup on (to avoid re-doing it so I can go out later in the night) it won't melt off with the steam. The summer heat isn't even a match for this makeup.

What I don't like about this foundation:

*The price. As mentioned above, I'm not one to spend copious amounts of money on a single item. So coughing up 30 bucks for this makeup is a nice punch in the face.
*It's almost too dry. Even though I usually use a powder over liquid makeup, I've been skipping it lately. I think as the foundation ages, it gets drier which is good for summer time but in the colder months, this could be a con.

Overall, I would recommend this product to everyone and I say that with all sincerity. I think no matter what you're looking for, this product can do it for you. From a special event look to a fresh summer day at the boardwalk, this foundation is universal and can do it all. Not to shabby, Estee Lauder!

What is your holy grail foundation? Let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! =)

Search This Blog