welcome to thediaryofatallgirl!

Saturday, March 30, 2013

How To Thrift Shop Like A Pro

Today I wanted to talk about one of my most favorite thing in the world - thrift shopping. Yes, my friends, Thrift Shop by Macklemore is practically the anthem of my life. I feel like people don't give enough credit to the awesomeness of Goodwill. So today, I'm going to teach you how to be an expert thrifter.
Photo Credit




#1 - Don't go looking for anything specific

It's a common mistake. Don't do it! You'll be utterly disappointed if you walk into Goodwill looking for a military green jacket. Chances are, they won't have exactly what you're looking for and you'll get quickly discouraged. My advice: Go in with an open mind. You'll be more incline to fill up a cart with stuff you actually like instead of leaving empty handed. If you want something specific, the thrift shop is not the answer.

#2 - Pick up anything and everything that catches your eye.

I mean it. If you only pick up a few things, you're most likely going to hate most of them. Clothes, obviously, look different on your body than they do on a hanger so if you grab things that you think might work for you, you'll have a wider selection to choose from when you check out!

#3 - Try things on

Ugh, I cringe at this one. I'm one to never try things on at stores - I prefer to take things home then return them later. However, a lot of thrift stores/consignment shops don't do returns, especially local ones. So don't waste your money, take the extra time to try everything on. You're getting stuff at a reasonable price, so don't waste $5 on something you'll never wear!

#4 - Check back often

A lot of times, thrift shops keep new donations in the back and then put them on shelves on a certain day of the week. So, if you want to be a serious thrifter, make trips weekly. You'll probably see a lot of the same things each week but you never know. You may just find what you're looking for!

#5 - Sale, sale, sale

Personally, I've gotten accustomed to only spending $3 for a t-shirt instead of $10. Let's take that one step farther - whenever I go to a consignment shop, I only buy things if they're under $6 and/or marked down. It's true. I'm bargain obsessed and never buy anything full price. Ever. So thrift shops are like my zone. I can get really awesome stuff for practically nothing. While you're out spending $25 on that new dress at Forever 21, I'm getting mine for $5.

I hope you guys found some of these tips helpful! Thrifting is definitely my niche so if you ever need a partner in crime... I'm your gal.

What are your favorite thrift shop finds? Tell me in the comments! Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

1 comment:

  1. Hey,

    I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award :)

    http://nstylebeauty.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/the-versatile-blogger-award_9578.html

    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think! =)

Search This Blog