welcome to thediaryofatallgirl!

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

How To: Make Your Blog Better for Your Readers!


Hey guys!

I have been on blogger for, well, months technically, but consistently for the past few weeks. I have learned so much in the short period of time and there's still so much I don't know. I have, however, noticed some things about other blogs that are a definite NO in my book.

Okay, so I am probably in no place to be pointing fingers at any bloggers out there, but I've come across somethings that either make me want to follow you or not. They're super simple & easy to fix, so here's what I recommend for ANYONE with a blog who wants more followers! :)



1) Add the "Join this site/My Followers/GFC" widget to your side bar. I cannot even begin to explain how frustrating it is when I find a blog I really love but there's no way to follow them?! Or even worse, I have to spend more than a minute trying to find the followers widget. Maybe a minute doesn't sound like a long time, but when I've got other blogs to read through or my own posts to manage, that minute is useful and then wasted if I can't find the link to follow you!!
{To add this widget to your blog, go to the "Layout" tab on your home screen, select "Add A Widget" and locate the "Followers" widget. Customize it to your likings and BOOM. More followers for sure!}



2) NO MUSIC! PLEASE! I BEG YOU!! The other day I participated in a blog hop. I was going through the entire list of blogs, clicking on 5 or 6 that sounded interesting. At that point, I had about 10 tabs open on my computer then HELLO, MUSIC. And not even just music, but loud, punk rock, scary music. It took me forever to find out which blog was screaming at me which is really upsetting because I ended up not even following the person. I don't think I could deal with going to their blog everyday and getting scared shitless at the music! So when you're redoing your blog, {skip the music. Period.}

3) Ya know that security code you have to enter when you comment? Get rid of it! I'm one of those people who likes to comment on almost every single blog post I read and I cannot stand entering an unreadable, nonsense word after every single comment! I'm not a robot and will never be, so don't make me confirm that I am not! Now the good part - wanna to get rid of it?
{Go to the Settings tab on your dashboard. Then, click on Posts and Comments. Scroll down and find Show word verification. Select no. Done! Less irritated readers + more comments!}


So that's it for right now, but trust me, I have so much more to share and feel like I'll know even more in a few months. Some of my favorite posts to read are actually ones like this. I'm a total blog-a-whore, so more tips to come in the future!

Share your #1 blogging pet peeve down below! I would love to feature some =)


5 comments:

  1. I agree with all 3. I don't like when the follow me widget is all the way on the bottom because I have to keep scrolling or go out of my way to look for it. Sounds lazy but you should make it as easy as possible for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally not lazy! I agree, it's just an inconvenience. UGH! Hahah, thanks for reading! =)

      Delete
  2. Carolyn! I nominated you for The Liebster Blog Award. I hope you will accept it. Please visit my post http://pynkkrush.blogspot.com/2012/12/i-got-liebster-award.html to see what it is. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think! =)

Search This Blog